Stephen Metcalfe, MP for South Basildon & East Thurrock, has welcomed the Government’s levelling up agenda in the Queen’s Speech.
Yesterday (11th May), the Government announced 30 new laws in the Queen’s Speech, delivering on manifesto promises and helping the UK build back better.
Key points from the Queen’s Speech include:
- Continuing our lifesaving Vaccine Programme, with a booster campaign in the autumn. Introducing the Health and Care Bill which will lay foundations for a more integrated and efficient health and care system. Proposals for adult social care reform in 2021 will also be brought forward.
- Publishing a landmark Levelling Up White Paper which will set out bold new policy interventions that grasp the opportunities of Brexit to improve livelihoods in all parts of the UK as we recover from the pandemic.
- Introducing an Education Recovery Plan, Skills and Post-16 Education Bill and setting up the Turing Scheme.
- Making the UK a global science superpower by developing our Life Sciences sector and creating the Advanced Research and Invention Agency.
- Transforming UK infrastructure and introducing the Planning Bill to create a simpler, faster, and more modern planning system.
- Passing the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, refreshing our Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy to better protect women and improve outcomes for rape cases, and introducing the New Plan for Immigration legislation.
- Introducing the Building Safety Bill, which will strengthen the regulatory system for building safety and introduce safety standards for construction products and a clearer path to redress for homeowners.
- Banning conversion therapy.
- Continuing to lead the way on climate change by hosting the COP26 climate negotiations and implementing the Environment Bill.
For further information, you can read the Queen’s Speech in full here.
Stephen Metcalfe MP: “I welcome the Queen’s Speech which highlights the Government’s strong levelling up agenda of supporting businesses and local economies, making our communities safer, achieving net zero by 2050 and investing in science to attract the best people and businesses from across the world.
This speech not only addresses the pandemic but goes further to unite and level up the country, providing great opportunities for us all as we build back better.”