Problems at home

The Communities Secretary has announced £76 million extra funding to support victims of domestic abuse, sexual violence, modern slavery and vulnerable children. This money will go to both local government and charities to help ensure people continue to get the help they need during the coronavirus pandemic.

A change to housing rules will also mean that those fleeing domestic abuse and facing homelessness as a result will be automatically considered as priority by their council for housing – ensuring more survivors of domestic abuse have access to a safe home.

You are already permitted to leave your home if you are in danger or to flee domestic abuse or sexual violence. The Police will support you.

If you are living in fear, suffering abuse or in immediate danger contact the Police on 999. If you are unable to talk on the phone, call 999 and then press 55. This will transfer your call to the police who will know it's an emergency and assist you without you having to speak. If you are concerned for someone who is experiencing abuse call Essex Police on 101.

National Domestic Abuse Helpline:

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline provides guidance and support for potential victims, as well as those who are worried about friends and loved ones 24/7:

Local support:

If you live in the Basildon area, you can contact the South Essex Domestic Abuse Hub on 01268 206798 (Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm).

If you live in the Thurrock area, you can contact Changing Pathways on 01268 729707 (Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm) or 0330 3337444 (24 hr).

They can:

  • Help you to find safe accommodation in conjunction with the Council
  • Help you to remain safe in your home
  • Help you to access legal advice and assistance
  • Provide money and welfare advice
  • Help you to access therapeutic and outreach support services

Common signs of domestic abuse:

The following behaviours are amongst the most common signs that domestic abuse is taking place. If you are regularly subjected to any of the following behaviours by a partner or another person in your household then you should consider seeking help and advice:

  • Constant threats that make me feel scared
  • Makes me feel bad
  • Makes me feel guilty for my actions
  • Makes me do things I do not want to do
  • Falling out with family and close friends
  • Hurts me physically
  • Invades my privacy by looking at my phone, social media, web history's
  • Constant calls, texts wanting to know where I am at all times
  • Cheats on me or accuses me of cheating on them
  • Steals from me or makes me buy them things
  • Forces me to have sex with them

If you are worried about hurting someone:

If you are worried about hurting the ones you love whilst staying at home, call the Respect helpline for support on 0808 8024 040  (Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm). You can talk in confidence about violence and domestic abuse without judgement.

Male victims of domestic abuse:

Domestic abuse is not specific to women. Many men suffer domestic abuse but feel less able to report it or seek help. Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline specifically for male victims of domestic abuse and those supporting them. You can call them on 0808 8010327 (Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm, extending to 8pm on Mondays & Wednesdays).

Sexual abuse:

South Essex Rape and Incest Crisis Centre (SERICC) - Provides a service to women and girls over 13 years old who have been raped, sexually assaulted, experienced child sexual abuse, sexual harassment or who have experienced any form of sexual violence or attempted sexual assault. You can call them on 01375 380609 (Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm). If you are in immediate danger contact the Police on 999.