Stephen Metcalfe and fellow Basildon MP John Baron are shocked to discover that Smart Parking UK’s heavy-handed practices extend across the UK. 14 Members of Parliament are now calling for Smart Parking UK to end their opaque practices and inflexible attitude which cause unnecessary blight to communities across the UK.
This update on Westgate car park operators Smart Parking UK follows recent correspondence confirming the BPA are now investigating Smart Parking UK against their Code of Practice. It is hoped this careful examination results in their unfair practices ending or they could be struck from the accredited Association’s register.
In a letter to Stephen Metcalfe, the DVLA confirms the Government response to his Written Question to the Secretary of State for Transport that, the DVLA will only provide vehicle keeper information to private parking management companies where they are members of an appropriate accredited trade association.
MPs experiencing related car park issues with Smart Parking UK:
- Stephen Metcalfe, MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock
- John Baron, MP for Basildon and Billericay
- Mark Francois, MP for Rayleigh and Wickford
- John Howell OBE MP FSA, MP for the Henley
- Virendra Sharma, MP for Ealing, Southall
- Helen Goodman, MP for Bishop Auckland
- Paul Masterton, MP for East Renfrewshire
- Alison Thewliss, MP for Glasgow Central
- Giles Watling, MP for Clacton
- Steve Double, MP for St Austell and Newquay
- Chris Williamson, MP for Derby North
- Rosie Cooper, MP for West Lancashire
- Helen Whately, MP for Faversham and Mid Kent
- Ben Bradshaw, MP for Exeter
Stephen Metcalfe recently joined by a protest of a reported 200 people in the cold at Smart Parking UK operated Westgate Shopping Centre cark park on Saturday (28/10/2018). The public response continues to grow as the number of people complaining in the online Facebook community group exceeds 3.5 thousand.
Stephen said: “Since my question in the House of Commons Chamber, I have been struck by the number of colleagues who share my frustration with Smart Parking UK. It appears that their opaque practices and inflexible attitude are causing unnecessary blight to communities across the UK.
I, along with my neighbour John Baron MP, continue to call for an end to their behaviour which risks the reputation of Westgate shopping centre in Basildon.”
Stephen Metcalfe has now received a letter from Smart Parking UK requesting a meeting to which he will respond in due course.